You’re flipping through your newsfeed while wondering, “Why are so many people posting videos of Kenny Chesney singing, ‘She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy’?” Then it hits you. It’s Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day—and you totally missed it! If this sounds familiar, you’re not alone. With so many regular holidays, pet holidays, and more dotting the calendar, music holidays pretty much get lost in the mix. To help with that, here’s Royal City Studios’ big list of music holidays for 2020. We also tossed in some other fun holidays. Somehow, we think you’ll find a way to celebrate National Pizza Day or National Chocolate Ice Cream Day.
Call it intuition.
National Polka Music Month
Jan. 1: New Year’s Day | National Hangover Day
Jan. 4: Pop Music Chart Day
Jan. 5: National Whipped Cream Day
- If you observed National Hangover Day on Jan. 21, having a four-day grace period before indulging in whipped cream obviously makes sense.
Jan. 5-11: Silent Record Week
- Yes, artists including John Lennon really have released silent recordings.
Jan. 13: Make Your Dreams Come True Day
- Success tip: Simply say, “Just be [insert your name here].”
Jan. 19: Popcorn Day
- Sure, it’s a day to eat popcorn, but why not celebrate “Popcorn,” one of the first songs (by Hot Butter, naturally) to ever use the immortal Moog synthesizer.
Jan. 20: National Disc Jockey Day
Jan. 23: National Pie Day
- Appropriate bands with food-related names to perhaps include in your celebrations: Humble Pie, Peaches (for peach pie) and Red Hot Chili Peppers (because pizza and toppings count as pie).
Jan. 28: National Kazoo Day
Feb. 2: Groundhog Day | Play Your Ukulele Day
Feb. 3: National The Day the Music Died Day
- Remembering the untimely deaths of Buddy Holly (age 22) Richie Valens (age 17) and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson in a plane crash on Feb. 3, 1959, near Clear Lake, Iowa. (Trivia: Buddy Holly’s band The Crickets reputedly inspired John Lennon and his best friend at art college, Stu Sutcliffe, to consider various insect names for their band before deciding on the Beatles, stylized from “beetles.”)
Feb. 4: Liberace Day
Feb. 8: Opera Day
- Celebrating the value and positive impact of opera.
Feb. 9: National Pizza Day
- Any way you “slice it,” Pizza Day is an awesome day to celebrate any day.
Feb. 11: Get Out Your Guitar Day
- Got a guitar that’s been sitting untouched for a while? Today’s a good day to tune it up and play.
Feb. 13: World Radio Day
- Celebrating radio and how it helps shape and enrich our lives.
Feb. 14: Valentine’s Day
Feb. 17: Family Day
Feb. 25: Pancake Day
- A few suitable songs to add to your Pancake Day playlist: “A Taste of Honey” (Herb Alpert), “Sugar” (Maroon 5) and “Green Onions” (Booker T. & the M.G.’s), if you’re into vegetable pancakes.
Music in Our Schools Month
Sing with Your Child Month
March 4: Marching Music Day
- Held each year on this date to encourage people to “march forth” in celebration of their diverse musical styles and backgrounds.
March 6: National Oreo Cookie Day
March 8: International Women’s Day
March 12: Napping Day
- Still recovering from all that marching on Marching Music Day? No worries. It’s nap day!
March 17: St. Patrick’s Day
March 20: International Day of Happiness
March 21: Play the Recorder Day
March 22: Sing Out Day
- Sing loud and proud on this day, which celebrates the unique and diverse instrument that is the human voice.
March 26: Make Up Your Own Holiday Day
- Miffed because there’s no Drum Solo Day or Ten-Minute Bass Solo While Cartwheeling Across a Stage Day? Today’s your day to claim it!
March 27: Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day
- Whether you enjoy sailing with the “Redneck Yacht Club” (Craig Morgan) or doing the “Bow Chicka Wow Wow” (Meghan Patrick), today’s the day to celebrate all that’s cool and quirky in country music.
March 27: World Theatre Day
March 28: Piano Day
- Celebrated annually on the 88th day of the year in honor of 88 piano keys.
International Guitar Month
Jazz Appreciation Month
April 1: April Fools’ Day | National Trombone Players Day
- No “Foolin’.” It really is the day to celebrate trombone players everywhere.
April 7: World Health Day
- Taking care of your health is an integral part of whatever musical aspirations you have (or even if you’re not into playing music).
April 10: Good Friday
April 11: Barbershop Quartet Day | International “Louie Louie” Day | Eight Track Tape Day
- What were eight track tapes? Back in the mid-1960s when media companies were trying to compete with cassettes, someone invented a big cartridge-style tape format that was like shoving a brick into a VCR. And carrying around even a modest selection of eight tracks pretty much required a gym bag.
April 12: Easter Monday | National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day
April 16: World Voice Day
- An all-encompassing celebration of the tremendous importance of the human voice in our daily lives, from singing and spoken word performance to simple connection through conversation.
April 17-26: National Dance Week
- Take a cue from Lady Gaga. Just dance.
April 18: Record Store Day | International Amateur Radio Day
April 19-25: National Karaoke Week
April 22: Earth Day
- Climate action is this year’s theme of Earth Day, which celebrates its 50th anniversary.
April 25: International Marconi Day
- Celebrating the work of Guglielmo Giovanni Maria Marconi, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist and inventor credited with the ground-breaking work that paved the way for all future radio technology.
April 26: Poem in Your Pocket Day
- Created to celebrate the joy of reading poetry and sharing it with others, this day is also a good day to remember lyricists that equally approach their work as poetry.
April 29: International Dance Day
- If you missed Lady Gaga’s earlier recommendation for National Dance Week (April 17-26), here it is again. Just dance.
April 30: International Jazz Day
May 1: May Day | National Chocolate Parfait Day | International Tuba Day
May 3: National Public Radio Day
May 4: Dave Brubeck Day
- Celebrating the jazz pianist and composer considered one of the foremost exponents of cool jazz.
May 5: Cinco de Mayo
May 8: National Coconut Cream Pie Day
May 9: World Belly Dance Day
- Listen to the Top 20 Belly Dance Hits on Spotify.
May 10: Mother’s Day
- Why not spend the day jamming with your mom? Show her some love for everything she’s done for you.
May 13: National Apple Pie Day
May 14: Dance Like a Chicken Day
- Honoring oom-pah music and the Chicken Dance craze that gave countless people at countless wedding receptions the chance to flap their arms, shake their tail feathers and generally feel happy about acting like chickens in formal wear.
May 15: National Pizza Party Day
May 18: Victoria Day
May 19: National Devil’s Food Cake Day
May 22: Buy a Musical Instrument Day
- Had your eye on a new guitar or drums? Today’s the day to scratch that itch.
May 25: Memorial Day | National Tap Dance Day
May 28: National Hamburger Day
Audiobook Awareness Month
Black Music Month
International Surf Music Month
National Accordion Awareness Month
African-American Music Appreciation Month
June 5: National Donut Day
- Mmmm… dooonuts.
June 7: National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
June 8: National Best Friends Day
- Don’t have the words to tell someone, “You’re my best friend”? Let Freddie Mercury do it for you.
June 21: Father’s Day | Make Music Day | World Music Day
Why not spend the day jamming with your dad? Give him a water cooler story that he’ll share for years.
July 1: Canada Day
July 4: Independence Day
July 14: National Mac and Cheese Day
July 19: National Ice Cream Day
July 25: National Hot Fudge Sundae Day | National Dance Day
- Sure, the previous day was about ice cream. But today it includes hot fudge! Caution: Please allow an appropriate amount of time to pass before also celebrating National Dance Day. If hot fudge comes shooting out of your nose before you’ve had a chance to digest it properly and there are friends around with camera phones, you just may become the kind of YouTube star that you never wanted to become.
July 30: International Day of Friendship | National Cheesecake Day
- Tell a friend how much they mean to you. And don’t worry if it sounds cheesy. It’s National Cheesecake Day!
July 31: Uncommon Instruments Awareness Day
- Fire up the zeusaphone and dial up the theremin! Or grab that Vegetable Orchestra instrument from the crisper!
Aug. 2: National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- Not just another ice cream holiday. It’s ice cream in sandwich form!
Aug. 8-16: Elvis Week
- Caught in a musical trap? Can’t walk out? Call upon the power of the King during Elvis Week.
Aug. 10: National Lazy Day
- Because you’ve earned it.
Aug. 10: National Duran Duran Appreciation Day
- Someone went to the trouble to register a national holiday for this English new wave band. So, why-yi-yi-yi-yi don’t you use it?
Aug. 12: National Vinyl Record Day
Aug. 15: National Relaxation Day
- If you missed National Lazy Day, relax. Today’s your second chance.
Aug. 20: National Radio Day
Aug. 24: International Strange Music Day
- Created to encourage people to expand their awareness and openness to new kinds of music previously viewed as “strange.”
Classical Music Month
International Square Dancing Month
Sept. 5: National Bacon Day (Canada)
- Because everything is better with bacon.
Sept. 7: Labor Day
Sept. 17: International Country Music Day
Sept. 18: Rice Krispie Treat Day | National Cheeseburger Day
- Today’s an optimal day to use any leftover bacon from Bacon Day.
Sept. 19: National Dance Day (U.S.)
Sept. 25: National One-Hit Wonder Day
Sept. 28: Ask a Stupid Question Day
- Stuck for a stupid question? No worries. Ask yourself, “Am I good enough?” (Spoiler alert. You are.)
Rocktober (a.k.a. October)
Oct. 1: International Coffee Day
Oct. 2: Kids Music Day
- Dedicated to the importance of musical education for children.
Oct. 4: World Smile Day
Oct. 5: National Do Something Nice Day
Oct. 10: Universal Music Day
- Officially dedicated to encouraging and inspiring people everywhere to claim, reclaim, and rejoice in one’s ability to sing, play an instrument and make music.
Oct. 12: Canadian Thanksgiving
Oct. 21: World Opera Day
Oct. 28: National Chocolate Day
Oct. 31: Halloween
- A day that will forever be a Thriller.
International Drum (Percussion) Month
Nov. 6: Saxophone Day
Nov. 11: Remembrance Day | Veterans Day
Nov. 13: World Kindness Day
Nov. 14: World Diabetes Day
Nov. 25: National Jukebox Day
- Marking the anniversary of the first coin-operated jukebox.
Nov. 26: U.S. Thanksgiving | National Cake Day
- Pumpkin pie and cake on the same day? Sweet!
Dec. 4: National Cookie Day
Dec. 13: National Cocoa Day | National Violin Day | World Choral Day | Ice Cream and Violins Day
There’s no real information about why the celebration of ice cream and violins were put together on the same day that also celebrates cocoa and choral music. The one thing that is certain: Playing a violin with a hot cup of cocoa or bowl of ice cream in hand is a bad idea. Instead, listen to some violin or choral music while enjoying ice cream and/or cocoa while seated in a comfortable chair. It’s better. (Trust us on this one.)
Dec. 17: National Maple Syrup Day
Dec. 18: National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day
- Determined to take the ugly Christmas sweater crown this year? Read “Slam-Dunk the Ugly Xmas Sweater Crown This Season With These 5 Tips” by Royal City Studios’ blogger Xristopher Bland.
Dec. 24: Christmas Eve
Dec. 25: Christmas Day
Dec. 26: Boxing Day (Canada)
Dec. 30: National Bacon Day (U.S.)
Dec. 31: New Year’s Eve (Happy New Year!)
New Year’s Resolution Tip: Sure, you can make a resolution to lose weight or get more fit, and those are certainly great goals. Yet you likely didn’t get into music for nutritional or fitness reasons. You got into music because it feels good, because that’s where your passion calls you, whether to perform live, record your music to share it with the world, or both.
So, make a resolution to play more music and reach more of your musical goals. And to help you get there, Royal City Studios provides highly affordable, fully equipped rehearsal spaces for solo artists and bands of all sizes. We also have a fully equipped, state-of-the-art recording studio for you to record your music.
See for yourself.
Book online today.
However you celebrate any of the music holidays for 2020, have a rockin’ good year.
Leave a Reply