Having the right microphone can make or break a recording project. Professional studio microphones are specifically designed for quality studio recordings. Common stage microphones are designed for live performance, and generally not designed to deliver studio-quality recordings.
The challenge for any home studio owner is, just one pro-quality cardioid condenser microphone for crisp, clear vocals can cost $1,300 or more. Add in the cost of having the right selection of pro microphones for drums and amps and you can easily spend $5,000-$6,000.
In other words, if your studio microphones aren’t up to snuff, and you care about presenting your music in the most professional and appealing form possible (whether for sale or promotion), that’s a lot of hard-earned cash spent up front even before you’ve laid down a single recording.
As an alternative to all that, the Royal City Studios recording studio puts a complete range of pro-quality microphones at your disposal (plus all the recording equipment we have) for just $60 per hour up to four hours.
If you’re a four-piece band, that’s just $15 an hour for each person.
This includes the Neumann TLM 103 microphone.
With a noise level of just 7 dB, the Neumann TLM 103 (clocking in around $1,300) is so low noise that even the faintest nuances become audible. Regarded as a milestone microphone, the Neumann TLM 103 provides precise reproduction of sibilants and excellent speech intelligibility. So, it’s a standout microphone for vocals and non-musical voice applications like narration for podcasts, business presentations, videos and more.
Other microphones in the Royal City Studios microphone arsenal:
The Royal City Studios recording studio features a suite of pro-quality microphones to capture the nuances, dynamics and richness of your music.
- Neumann KM 184 – state-of-the-art small diaphragm condenser microphone with a uniform, frequency-independent cardioid polar pattern that satisfies the demands of all studio applications.
- Sennheiser e 902 – a dynamic instrument microphone specifically designed for deep bass frequency instruments like kick drums and bass guitar amps.
- Shure SM57-LC – cardioid dynamic microphone with contoured frequency response for clean, rich reproduction of drums, percussion, instrument amplifiers and vocals.
- RODE NT5 – a masterpiece of small-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone design, the Rode NT5 is ideal for overhead drum recording and cymbals where you want to cut low frequencies and boost highs.
- AKG C 214 – found in pro recording studios throughout the world, the AKG C 214 combines one side of the legendary C 414 dual-capsule system and AKG’s patented Black-Plate Technology for a microphone that delivers superb recording fidelity.
- Shure DMK57-52 – this essential package of microphones for recording and performing drummers includes three SM57 microphones (cardioid dynamic microphones with a contoured frequency response), three A56D drum-mounting systems, and one Beta 52A microphone (supercardioid kick drum microphone that delivers low-end punch and presence from a carefully tailored frequency response).
- Royer R121 – as Royer’s flagship microphone, the radically re-engineered Royer R-121 ribbon microphone delivers warm, realistic tone and frequency response, whether used for cranked-up guitars, drums or brass.
To say it another way: For just a few dollars an hour, you have access to a dynamic and robust suite of pro-level microphones (and a heck of a lot else) to happily walk home with a professional-quality recording rather than spending hundreds or thousands to do it on your own. And that leaves more of your budget for promoting your music—and a greater margin for profits if you’re planning on selling you music.
If this sounds like something that works for you, then we invite you to simply take a look inside the Royal City Studios recording studio, including amps, drums, cymbals, DAW, audio interface, vocal isolation booth, mixing booth, live studio and more.
This sweet Pearl kit with cymbals is included with our recording studio.
Discover today why bands/artists like Ian Andrews, Blue Moon and the Breaking English chose the Royal City Studios recording studio to bring their projects to life—and save in the process.
If you have a trusted engineer to produce your music, great! You’re invited to bring them along. If you don’t have one, no worries. We’ve got you covered.
Click here to see our list of available engineers who’d be pleased to speak with you.
If you still have questions, please email info@royalcitystudios or call (226) 314-2177.