Reflecting Royal City Studios’ continuing commitment to support musicians and artists of all ages and skill levels in Guelph and the surrounding areas, Royal City Studios now offers the Open Student Jam, Sundays from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
One of the main reasons for creating the Sunday afternoon Open Student Jam was accessibility, to which Royal City Studios is also committed. While some young musicians had transportation in 2019 to get out to the Sunday evening Open Rock Jam sessions at Royal City Studios (7-10 p.m.), many relying on Guelph public transit could not make it out, given Guelph’s limited bus service on Sunday nights.
By providing an Open Student Jam on Sunday afternoons, musicians who could not make it out to Royal City Studios on Sundays can now easily do so to connect with few musicians, gain performance experience, and have fun in a welcoming environment open to all ages and skill levels.
This includes singers either experienced or not in singing with bands or live karaoke or wanting to gain experience and network.
Similar to the Sunday evening Open Rock Jam sessions at Royal City Studios, the format of the Open Student Jam is the same.
- Musicians gather at 1:30 p.m. and group into bands.
- Bands choose a song from a selection of popular cover songs that Royal City Studios provides (including tab and lyrics) and learn it. If bands wish to perform a song of their own (whether a cover or even an original), bands are free to do so. (The point of the jam is to have fun.)
- Bands play the song for other attendees.
- Musicians then mix up into new bands.
- Bands learn a new song and play again for other attendees.
>> Click here for more about the Open Student Jam
Musicians don’t need to bring much.
Amps, PA, microphones and drum kits are all provided. Just bring your axe, patch cables, sticks and/or voice. Water and refreshments are available on site, and washrooms are gender-neutral and fully accessible.
The Open Student Jam is a PWYC event. $10 is suggested, but if that doesn’t fit your budget, no worries. Royal City Studios’ Open Student Jam is about providing opportunity, and cost does not have to stand in your way of enjoying the chance to connect with fellow Guelph-area musicians and gain the kind of valuable experience that will help fuel confidence your growth as a performer.
To get to Royal City Studios by Guelph Transit:
- From Guelph Central Station – Route 20 (Northwest Industrial): https://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/Route20_Sept2019-1.pdf
- From University Centre – Route 41 (Downtown-University Express): https://guelph.ca/wp-content/uploads/Route41_Sept2017.pdf
If you’re getting a ride, Royal City Studios has plenty of free parking.
For directions from Fergus/Elora, Kitchener/Waterloo, Cambridge, Milton and the GTA, click here to visit out Contact page, which also has Guelph Transit maps and schedules.
If you haven’t been to Royal City Studios and want to check the place out before deciding, you’ve got a few options:
- Watch Guelph Today’s walkthrough video
- Visit the Royal City Studios YouTube channel and watch the walkthrough video, which features clips from many of the performance opportunities created for people in 2019
You can also watch any number of Open Jam session videos on the Royal City Studios YouTube channel, where you’ll discover what was mentioned earlier in this blog. The jams are open to all ages and skill levels in an open and supportive environment.
Royal City Studios is a respectful music rehearsal and recording studio located at 930 Woodlawn Road West, Unit 1, in Guelph, ON. To contact Royal City Studios, phone (226) 314-2177 or email email@example.com.
Leave a Reply