Royal City Studios’ inaugural Classic Covers Cool Cars concert event on Sunday, August 11th, was a night to remember. To coin AC/DC, everyone who attended was thunderstruck by the gathering of staggeringly cool cars (modern and vintage), incredible vendors, and seven killer performances by seven amazing bands:
“This was a great event. The acts were all talented and entertaining. The Bend had a blast and appreciated the abundance of support and camaraderie of the music community at the event. The cars were pretty sweet too!”—B. Sutherland
As a live audition show for the seven bands to compete for a performance spot at Royal City Studios’ two additional Classic Covers Cool Cars concert events happening on September 8th and October 6th, bands performed before a panel of three independent judges, and the voting was very close.
At the end of the evening, Vintage Flight took top prize. In keeping with Royal City Studios’ vision of providing opportunities and support to help enrich and further the goals of bands, Vintage Flight won a suite of prizes that included:
- Three free hours inside one of Royal City Studios’ seven acoustically treated rehearsal rooms, each with amps, PA equipment and pristine drum kits tuned by a professional sound engineer.
- Free time at Royal City Studios’ recording studio, plus coaching through the recording process if needed.
- Professional live performance photos from the evening to use as they wish on social media or in band media like bios, press releases and fan newsletters.
- One free session inside Royal City Studios photo studio.
- Deeply discounted professional marketing and copywriting services.
- Performance opportunities beyond the Classic Covers Cool Cars concert series.
Vintage Flight will also go on to perform at the Classic Covers Cool Cars concert event on Sunday, September 8th, when two additional winning bands will be announced.
All runner-up bands received two free hours inside one of Royal City Studios’ rehearsal rooms, and will be kept in the loop about future performance opportunities, because at the end of the day, Royal City Studios is about providing the tools, facilities and support to provide local bands and solo artists with opportunities, reflected in Royal City Studios’ recent open concert event at Royal Distributing.
To make the musical journey as accommodating as possible for artists, Royal City Studios is fully accessible (including fully accessible washrooms). Royal City Studios also has water, coffee, tea, snacks and refreshments on hand, and Royal City Studios has replacement strings (acoustic and electric), drumsticks, XLR cables, adapters, batteries and more should artists need something after the music stores have closed. So, all artists need to do is walk in, plug in and play.
To facilitate artists seeing all that Royal City Studios has to offer, the doors to Royal City Studios were open during Classic Covers Cool Cars for artists to tour the facilities, which includes a music hall for any kind of event, from concerts to album release parties. The music hall also provides performance opportunities for bands as part of Royal City Studios’ ongoing Open Rock Jam nights, which is open to musicians of all ages and skill levels.
Supporting pillars of Royal City Studios’ inaugural Classic Covers Cool Cars concert event:
- Music Lives
- Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy
- Rhythm & Brews Brewing Company
- Ian Andrews (of Ian Andrews & The Smokin’ Scoundrels)
- Ken Feakins Personal Training
- Speedpro Imaging
- Xristopher Bland (abmCreative)
The event also included an on-site Used but Not Abused Gear Sale (musical instruments, pro audio gear, amplifiers, and more) and food trucks with ready-to-eat foods and treats:
- Eating Clouds mobile bakery, specializing in custom cakes, cookies and marshmallows
- Subshack submarine sandwiches and wraps with fresh toppings
Thanks to the independent cool car owners who showed up to the event to show off their sweet rides.
Thanks to all the people from the local music community who dropped by to chat and connect with bands.
And thanks to the weather gods for supporting live music by providing sunny skies and warm breezes. You’re definitely invited back. 🙂
“Les Pauls, Strats, drums, amps, Vetts, Stangs, Lotuses… how come I didn’t know about this?”—D. Kondra
If you missed Royal City Studios’ first Classic Covers Cool Cars concert event, there are two more left this year:
Royal City Studios is located at 930 Woodlawn Road West, Unit 1, in Guelph ON.
It’s where music happens.
All photos copyright © 2019 Xristopher Bland.